The 1st Mechanized Infantry Brigade as a higher joint-tactical unit represents a major combat force of the Army that provides prepared forces for protection and support of national interests and provides support during natural disasters, epidemics and other dangers.
Outside the territory of the Republic, the declared units are participating in peacekeeping operations and they fulfill the international military responsibilities.
- Planning and organization;
- Planning and use;
- Planning and conducting training and exercises;
- Planning and conducting personal management;
- Intelligence, counterintelligence and protection of forces;
- Logistic support;
- Organizing and preparing CIS;
- Planning funding;
- Civilian military cooperation.
Colonel Sashko Lafchiski
Date of Birth:
- Military Academy, Skopje, the Republic of Macedonia, 1995-1999;
- Leaders of the 21st Century Course, Marshall Center, Garmisch-Partenkirchen, 2003;
- Command and Staff School “Blago Zadro”, Croatia, Zagreb, 2007-2008;
- Army War College, Carlisle, the USA, 2015-2016;
- Postgraduate Studies – Master’s Degree in Strategic Studies- Carlisle, Pennsylvania, the USA, 2015-2016.
- Team Commander, Special Forces Battalion, 1999-2001;
- Company Commander, Special Forces Battalion, 2001-2003;
- Commander of the Special Operations contingent, mission “Iraqi Freedom”, 2003-2004;
- Training Officer at S3, Special Forces Battalion, 2003-2004;
- Chief of S-3, Special Forces Battalion, 2004-2008;
- National Representative and NATO Evaluator OCC E&F programme at the NATO Allied Joint Forces Command in Naples, Italy, 2008-2012;
- Chief of Section S-3, Special Operations Regiment Command, 2012-2015;
- Commander of the Special Forces Battalion, 2016-2018;
- Deputy Commander of the Special Operations Regiment, 2018-2020;
- Chief of Section for Special Operations, 2020-2021;
- Commander of the 1st Infantry Brigade, June 2021.
- Second Lieutenant 1999-2000;
- Lieutenant 2000-2001;
- Captain 2001-2007;
- Major 2007-2011;
- Lieutenant Colonel, 2011-2018;
- Colonel, since 2018.
Awards and Decorations:
- Golden Badge of ARM, 2013;
- Silver Badge of ARM, 2012;
- Numerous certificates of commendation and other certificates.
- Italian (basic level).
Married, one child.
Sports, hunting and fishing.
Colonel Vasko Kokolanski
Date and Place of Birth:
12.12.1974 in Strumica Republic of Macedonia.
Military Academy, 1995-1999;
Advanced Course for Military Police Officers, 2000;
Command and General Staff Academy, USA, 2014;
School for National Security, at the National Defense University, Washington, the USA, June 2018 – June 2019.
- Platoon Commander;
- Military Police Company Commander;
- S-3 Training and Planning Officer in Military Police Battalion;
- S-3 Chief – Operations Officer in Military Police Battalion;
- Military Police Battalion Chief of Staff and Deputy Commander;
- Military Police Battalion Commander;
- Deputy Commander of 1st Mechanized Infantry Brigade;
- Public Relations Officer at Joint Operations Command, June 2018 – August 2019;
- Deputy Commander of the 1st Mechanized Infantry Brigade, August 2019.
- Second Lieutenant 1999-2000;
- Lieutenant 2000-2003;
- Captain 2003-2008;
- Major 2008-2013;
- Lieutenant Colonel 2013;
- Colonel 2019.
Awards and Decorations:
- Certificate of Commendation by the JOC Commander;
- Certificate of Commendation by the CS of ARM;
- Certificate of Commendation by the Minister of Defence.
Married, father of two children.
Master Sergeant Djoskej Petrovski
Master Sergeant Djoskej Petrovski was born in 1973 in Radovish where he finished his elementary education and he graduated high school in Bitola.
He started his military career in the armored battalion in Skopje, where he received his first NCO rank and in his career he has performed the duties of Tank Commander; Commander of Tank Platoon; Sergeant Major of a Tank Company and Command Sergeant Major of Tank Battalion.
He has graduated several military courses in the country and abroad. “Train the trainer” in Herisau, Switzerland, course on “Military training techniques and instructions” at the Training Command in Veles; “NCOs advanced course” at the Training Command in Veles; Course for “Company Sergeant Major” at the Training and Doctrines Command in Veles; Higher NCO school in Zagreb, Croatia, “CSEL”course in Zagreb, Croatia; participant in the “Macedonian Flash” military exercises in 2011 and 2012.
He has received commendations on several occasions and has been awarded by the Commander of the Tank Battalion; the Commander of the 1st Mechanized Infantry Brigade and the Commander of the Operations Command.
He is fluent in English language, married and father of three children.
- Commander of Tank 2001-2003;
- Commander of Tank Platoon 2003-2011;
- Sergeant Major of Tank Company 2011-2013;
- Command Sergeant Major of Tank Battalion 2013-2020;
- Command Sergeant Major in the 1st Infantry Brigade from November 2020.
- Sergeant 2001-2007
- Staff Sergeant 2007-2012
- Staff Sergeant 1st Class 2012-2016
- Master Sergeant from 2016
Captain Gorancho Gjorgievski
Captain Gorancho Gjorgievski was born on 06.02.1977 in Delchevo. After completing primary and secondary school in Berovo, he continued his education at the Military Academy “General Mihailo Apostolski” in Skopje and graduated in 2000.
He started his military career as a motorized infantry platoon Commander in the 1st MIB in Kumanovo.
During his military career he has performed many command and staff duties at battalion level and was acting chief in the section for combat readiness, operations, military planning, training and exercise in the 3rd infantry battalion of the 1st Infantry brigade. Since 2018 he has been assigned to his current duty Public Relations Officer in the 1st Infantry Brigade.
He has completed several courses related to his work responsibilities including:
- Course for Platoon Commanders, MPRI, Pepelishte, 2000;
- Course for Instructors for Combating Terrorism, 2002;
- Course for Commanders of Companies, Military Academy “General Mihailo Apostolski”, Skopje, 2012;
- Tactical training Instructor “ Methodical training course for NCOs, 2013
- Course for Staff Duties in Battalion, Military Academy “General Mihailo Apostolski”, Skopje, 2017;
- NATO Military Decision Making Process Training, MTT 2015;
- Analysis and Lessons Learned, MTT, 2016;
- Crisis Communication Course, PARC Skopje, 2016;
- Public Affairs Workshop, PARC, November, Skopje 2018.
- Builiding Integrity in Public Affairs Course 2019, PARC Skopje.
He has participated in several military exercises in the country including:
- Macedonian Flash” 7, 8,9,10;
- Multinational exercises “LONGBOW/LANSER“, 2012, Macedonia.
He has not participated in any peacekeeping missions abroad. He has been awarded and commended multiple times, most notable are the Commendation from the Commander of the 1MIBr, Certificate of Appreciation received from TRADOC Commander, reward leave from the Commander of the 3rd MIB
He speaks English and has basic knowledge of German and other languages. He lives in Skopje; he is married and father of two children.
- Platoon Commander, 2000-2003;
- Watchtower Commander, 2003-2005;
- Platoon Commander, 2005-2012;
- Mechanized Infantry Company Commander, 2012-2014;
- Training Officer at S-3/3. MIB, 2014-2018;
- Acting Chief of S-3/3. MIB, 2016;
- Public Relations Officer in the 1stMechanized Infantry Brigade, October 2018.
- Second Lieutenant 2000-2001;
- Lieutenant 2001-2012;
- Captain 2012-2018.
In accordance with the new organization of the Army of the Republic of Macedonia (ARM) in 2012 and the order for transformation of the ARM units, the 1st and 2nd Mechanized Infantry Brigades were fused into the 1st Mechanised Infantry Brigade “A” (1st MIBde).
The 1st and 2nd MIBde had the honour to cherish and continue the traditions of the 11th and 13th Infantry Brigades established in 1992 when the Republic of Macedonia became an independent country. These units uphold the traditions of two other prominent units from the National Liberation War, namely, the 14th Macedonian Youth Assault Liberation Brigade (14th MYALBde) and Kitchevo- Mavrovo Partizan Squad, which had participated in liberating the towns and cities lying on river Bregalnica, in western Macedonia, Skopje and fought at the bloody Syrmian Front.
The President of the Republic of Macedonia and the Supreme Commander of the Armed Forces on 14.05.2015 issued a decree “U” no.06-716/1 declaring 2nd April as the Day of the Unit which coincides with the dislocation of the command and the staff of the 1st MIBde at garrison Petrovec in 2012.
The President of the Republic of Macedonia on 14.08.2007 issued edict no. 8 and awarded an Order of Military Merits to the 2nd MIBde for their achievements and successful accomplishment of tasks in the area of defence of the Republic of Macedonia.
Today the 1st Mechanised Infantry Brigade “A” is the main combat force of ARM which protects and supports the national interests and it provides support to the civilian population during national disasters, epidemic outbreaks and other emergencies requiring the Army’s assistance. The brigade also has deployed its declared units abroad participating in peace support operations and thus fulfills the international military duties.
Participation in exercises in the Republic of Macedonia:
- “Macedonian Flash 10”, from 5 to 12.04.2014, demonstration of the level of combat readiness of the MIBG;
- Multinational Exercise “Joint Effort 2013” from 19 to 28.06.2013;
- “Macedonian Flash 9”, from 14 to 18.10.2013, demonstration of interoperability and survey of the level of combat readiness of the declared units, i.e. demonstration of MIBG capabilities in accordance with the joint forces requirements;
- “Macedonian Flash 8”, from 19 to 30.05.2012, NATO Evaluation Level 2 of a declared Medium Infantry Battalion Group and a declared Mechanised Infantry Company and NBC Section as part of the EU BG forces 2012/2;
- “Macedonian Flash 7”, from 8 to 16.04.2011, Self-Evaluation Level 1 of a declared Medium Infantry Battalion Group, a declared Mechanized Infantry Company and an NBC Section as part of the EUBG forces 2012/12;
- “Balkan Flash 2010”, from 24.10. to 03.11.2010, NATO Evaluation Level 2 of a declared Medium Infantry Battalion Group;
- “Macedonian Flash 6”, from 19 to 23.04.2010, supporting the 18th NATO Evaluator Course in accordance with the OCC E&F Concept for NATO -1;
- “Macedonian Flash 5”, from 19 to 28.10.2009, Self-Evaluation Level 2 of a declared Medium Infantry Battalion Group;
- “Macedonian Flash 4”, from 21.10 to 02.11.2008, NATO Evaluation Level 1of a declared Medium Infantry Battalion Group;
- “Macedonian Flash 3”, from 19 to 30.05.2008, Self-Evaluation Level 1 of a declared Medium Infantry Battalion Group;
- “Macedonian Flash 2”, from 28.10 to 04.11.2007, NATO Evaluation Level 1 of a declared mechanized infantry company, an engineer assault platoon and a pioneer platoon.
Participation in international exercises:
- Exercise “Anaconda”, from 6 to 18.06.2016, R. Poland.
- Exercise “Balkan Bridges 15”, from 23 to 27.11.2015, R. Bulgaria;
- Exercise “Trident Junction 15”, from 2 to 16.10.2015, R. Spain;
- Exercise “Immediate Response 15”, from 9 to 21.09.2015, R. Croatia and R. Slovenia;
- Exercise “Balkаn Response 15”, from 25 to 30.05.2015, R. Serbia;
- Exercise “LOGEX 15”, from 5 to 15.05.2015, R. Serbia;
- Exercise “Saber Juncture 15”, from 3 to 30.04.2015, FR Germany;
- Exercise “Seven Stars 14”, from 2 to 12.12.2014, R. Greece;
- Exercise “Immediate Response 14”, from 16 to 30.08.2014, R. Croatia and R. Slovenia;
- Exercise “Platinum Wolf 15”, from 16 to 29.11.2014, R. Serbia;
- Command Post Exercise “REGEX 14”, from 21 to 24.10.2014, R. Turkey;
- Computer Assisted Exercise “SEESIM”, from 22 to 27.09.2014, R. Greece;
- Field Training Exercise “Combined Endeаvor 14”, from 25.08. to 12.09.2014, FR Germany;
- Exercise “Quick Lion”, from 2 to 13.06.2014, Belgium;
- Exercise “Platinum Eagle 14”, from 13 to 23.05.2014, R. Romania;
- Exercise “Viking 14”, from 31.03. to 11.04.2014, Sweden;
- Exercise “Active Lion 14”, from 16 to 24.01.2014, Belgium;
- Exercise “Mission Readiness 2013”, from 2 to 18.12.2013, FR Germany;
- Exercise “Black See Rotation Force 2013”, Romania;
- Exercise “Immediate Response-13”, from 18 to 01.09.2013, R. Croatia;
- Multinational exercise “Rapid Trident 12”, from 14 to 07.2012 at the training area Yavoriv, R. Ukraine.
With the decision of the Republic of Macedonia to join NATO, 1st MIBde declared one Medium Infantry Battalion Group (MIBG) as part of the forces in accordance with NATO Operational Capabilities Concept for participation in NATO-led missions.
According to the EU BG 2/2012 development project the Medium Mechanised Infantry Company from the 1st MIBde completed the evaluation successfully and reached full interoperarability and it is ready for operation deployment and conflict preventions.
1st Mechanised Infantry Brigade with one Mechanised Infantry Company from the 2nd MIBn and an engineer assault platoon and a pioneer platoon from the Engineer Battalion participated in the “SEEBRIG” project.
- 1st MIBde from January 2003 to December 2014 carried out 24 rotations of contingents in the peace operation “ISAF” in IR. Afghanistan and from January 2006 to December 2014 the brigade participated in the mission with one mechanized infantry company tasked to secure the main HQ of the mission in Kabul;
- One platoon of the 1st MIBde from December 2014 carried out 3 rotations of contingents deployed to the peace operation “Resolute Support” in IR. Afghanistan;
One platoon of the 1st MIBde carried out 3 rotations in the peace support operation “Iraqi Freedom” in R. Iraq;
- In 2008 members of the 1st MIBde as a staff personnel took part in the peace operations OMLT-1, OMLT-2, TAAC-C and TAAC – north in IR. Afghanistan.
Members of the 1st MIBde participated in the peace operations:” EUFOR-ALTEA” in Bosnia and Herzegovina and “UNIFIL” in Lebanon.
During this period 1807 members from the 1st MIBde were deployed to peace operations abroad.
Since the beginning of the “migrant crisis”, the 1st MIBde has been actively involved providing support and assistance to the MoI forces securing our state borders. The brigade’s units also took part in setting up a 30-meter security fence along the southern border.
The brigade has actively participated in various humanitarian activities and natural disasters relief activities providing assistance to the citizens of the Republic of Macedonia. The units of the 1st MIBde have been involved in relief activities after the floods in Strumica, Radovish, Shtip, Sveti Nikole, Tetovo and Pelagonija. The members of the1st MIBde demonstrated their humanity by building two wooden bridges in village Poroj near Tetovo. The brigade also was involved in relief activities after the flood in the Republic of Serbia in 2015.